The Thali Cafe – 5 things you didn’t know
Totterdown; Montpellier; Easton & Clifton areas of Bristol
This kitschy, colourful Bristol institution does fantastic Indian food and has a brilliant takeaway scheme using stainless steel tiffin tins instead of plastic boxes. I went to a tasting night there this week and wanted to share some of the info that I’d found. Non-Bristolians – you’ll just have to come and visit to know what I’m talking about!
- You can book out a whole Thali cafe for a party. We’ve done it before and know of others who have had wedding parties catered here; you can also book them to cater for a large event too. The team has great festival catering experience – look out for them at a music festival near you this summer!
- You can mix and match your tiffin takeaway. Within a tiffin you get a daal, a vegetable curry, rice and a main curry, but if, like us, one of those tins isn’t your favourite (we aren’t big fans of daal), you can swap it out and get a different one if you like. You just have to pay an extra couple of quid.
- They are planning an even better takeaway offer – where you can buy a set meal of starter, tiffin, 2 beers and kulfi, making a full meal. Bottles of wine to takeaway might follow in the future too.
- An enhanced menu is just around the corner too, including the likes of Mumbai fish cakes and more starters. I’ve tried the new kulfi ice cream and can thoroughly recommend the chocolate version; their Bombay potato chips with a squeeze of lime are great too. The message is: if you haven’t been here lately, you don’t know what you’re missing!
- If you sign up to their newsletter, you could be in the running for a free meal there. The newsletter also fills you in on what’s happening, any events that they’re running (like the fabulous storytelling evenings they ran last year) and future free tastings evening.
Sign up at www.thethalicafe.co.uk (currently under construction)
The River Cafe