Q & A – Staple ingredients
A friend of mine, who is just getting into cooking, asked me what ingredients I like to keep in my cupboard and fridge. I thought it sounded like a great question to post here on FFFY, and open up to the readers.
He’s also looking to gain some brownie points with his wife, by making her a tasty pudding of some kind. Now, as I’ve said before, I’m more of a savoury guy, so this is where I really need some help! He’s allergic to cheese, so cheesecake is not allowed! I suggested an Eton mess. I’m sure you can do better.
To get us started, here’s the ingredients I like to keep stocked up in the cupboards, fridge and windowsill. It’s worth bearing in mind that I primarily cook Chinese, Indian, Italian and traditional English.
In the cupboard
- Tinned plum tomatoes – essential for spaghetti bolognese, chilli and stews
- Coconut milk – great to have for a quick Thai or Indian meal
- Flour – used for pancakes, Yorkshire puddings, dough, pastry and sauces
- Pasta – a must have for making a quick dinner
- Rice - brown rice, as it tastes so good. White rice for Chinese dishes
In the fridge
- Eggs – it’s amazing how many eggs we get through. Scrambled, poached, boiled, fried. I use them in stir frys and tarts. Laura uses loads with all her cupcakes!
- Butter – not margarine. Needed for sauces, mashed potato and pastry
- Peppers – use loads with stir frys and roasted vegetables
- Spring onions – again, great for stir frys, and also nice with a salad
- Chicken breasts – versatile. Used in currys and stir frys
- Beef mince – spaghetti bolognese, chilli and cottage pie
- Milk – needed for a nice cuppa tea
In the freezer
- Peas – great as an extra vegetable to add to a meal, or if you bang your head
- Prawns - prawn curry and prawn stir fry and both amazing and quick to make
On the side
- Onions – a real staple, and used in almost everything
- Garlic - I love garlic and see this as another real essential
- Fresh basil - I use it in loads of Italian meals. It’s really easy to grow too
- Parsley – used to freshen up recipes. Add to Italian meals, or Moroccan stews
So, that’s me. Let everyone know what you like to keep in your cupboard, fridge and freezer. Extra points if you can suggest a nice pudding he can make for his wife. A gold star if you have your own recipe that you can post on FFFY!
My Favourite Ingredients